What are dental implants?
You have probably seen the ads for Clear Choice permanent tooth replacements which left you wondering what are dental implants, how long do they last and is the procedure even worth doing.
A dental implant is a titanium post that is positioned into the jaw bone by our professional dentists, that allows us to mount a tooth replacement. Unlike a denture, a dental implant does not come loose. Because implants are mounted into your jaw bone, they provide stable support for artificial teeth which becomes especially important when speaking and chewing. If you are considering implants, you must have healthy gums and adequate bone to support the implant. In order to get a professional opinion, contact our dentists at Mountain Springs Dental office.
What are the benefits of dental implants?
There are many advantages to dental implants:
- Improved appearance. Dental implants look and feel like your own teeth.
- Improved speech. Dental implants are designed to fuse with bone, becoming permanent. This allows you to speak without a worry that your tooth might slip.
- Improved comfort. Implants remove the discomfort of removable dentures.
- Easier eating. Dental Implants function like your own teeth allowing you to eat your favorite foods without pain.
- Durability. Perhaps the most important factor of all. Implants are very durable and they last many years, with good care they can last a lifetime!
Are dental implants for you?
After understanding what dental implants are and the benefits they provide, you are probably left wondering if dental implants are for you and if you can even afford them.
The decision to get or not to get dental implants is an important one and you should consult with our highly trained Mountain Springs dentist in order to get a professional
opinion. Here are some of the reasons that can help you decide whether or not to get a dental implant:
- Large, untreated cavities
- Advanced gum disease
- Loose or painful dentures
- Missing teeth
- Loose and wiggly teeth
What happens during a dental Implants procedure?
The very first thing you will need to do is meet with our Mountain Springs dentists for an initial consultation. We will then conduct a dental exam, take an X-ray of your mouth, and take impressions of your teeth. After that, we will recommend the best treatment plan for you; going over the steps of the procedure, the time frame and what to do during your recovery. We may also discuss whether or not you need a bone graft. If you do need a bone graft, it can take a few months before your bone heals and becomes ready for the implant. Once the bone has fully healed your jaw will be ready for the implant. This procedure can take up to two hours during which you will be sedated. After we’ve placed the implant into your jawbone, the healing process can take up to 7 months. To learn more contact our professional dentists at Mountain Springs Dental office in North Ogden, UT.